Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Review: 'Beautiful Creatures' by Kimi Garcia and Margaret Stohl

**Ben if you're reading this, I hope we can still be friends after this review ;)**

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author(s): Kimi Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Penguin, re-issue edition
Publish Date: 3rd Jan 2013 (re-issue edition).
Brought from: Amazon UK

Oh god. I really really really wanted to like this. And I mean I REALLY wanted to like this, Ben had raved so much about it and I had seen so much hype about it, I was just so excited when it came to opening the first page. But...I don't know maybe my expectations were too high?

Okay let's kick start this review with a bit more of a positive. First the blurb:



In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets . . .There is a girl.Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head. Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes.There is a curse.On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been promised. And no one can stop it.In the end, there is a grave.Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.Ethan never even saw it coming.
 Have I ever told you guys how much I LOVE blurbs? Because I LOVE blurbs. And this one did not disappoint. I love the intrigue and I think I could actually write an essay about it.

Another positive, I loved the relationship between Lena and Ethan, it's quite a cute one, and they look out for each other and it's nice. Ethan is such a gentleman and offers Lena comfort and support where needed, but he is also willing to not listen to her, to fight for her when she thinks all hope is lost. Which is just adorable and yes! I loved that.

The plot, I did love as well. The places where the action actually happened was amazing and linked everything together so I enjoyed it.

Now, to what I didn't enjoy. The long-windedness. And I normally don't like complaining about style but I really didn't like it. It was so long-winded that I lost interest a couple of times and forced myself to carry on. I felt there were some unnecessary scenes, and some scenes that could've easily been summarized in an after thought.

Also, some of the other characters. I didn't think ALL the scenes were necessary with the Aunts, I get that they're old and gave Ethan lots of vital clues to who he and Lena actually are, and their destiny and so on and so forth, but I didn't get the need to have such a long chapter with them in.

My favourite character was actually Marian, I loved her and thought she was such a babe! Which only enrages me more that they left her out in the film!!! GRRRRRR! But you've already had my rant at that.

Looking back, there wasn't that much I hated about it, but the things that did irritate me were quite big. It wasn't a quick, easy read, and I think maybe that's just down to personal style. But who knows? Hopefully after I've read a few more books I'll find out.

3 out of 5 coconuts given. (all I kept thinking whilst writing this is, don't hate me Ben :L) .

No comments:

Post a Comment